Questions & Answers

Have a question? See if we have provided an answer below. If you don’t see the answer you’re looking for, you can contact us here.

Q. Why do you work with Insurance adjustors directly?

A. We work with insurance companies directly to assist both the insurance company and the home or business owner in getting through the claims and build process as easily as possible.  In a project such as this it’s good to have a knowledgeable team member to assist all parties in educating, working through any issues, and making sure the build goes exactly as planned.

Q. Why won’t you provide me an estimate over the phone or through email?

A. We only provide estimates on-site because every roof is different in size, height and pitch. We will not know the full extent of the damage until we are on the roof and can examine it in person.

Q. What insurance companies do you work with?

A. We work with all home and commercial insurance companies.

Q. How do I know if my roof has been damaged?

A. The most obvious sign a roof has been damaged is a leak. However, many times roofs do not seem damaged until they are inspected. A damaged roof can take 6-months to over a year before a leak starts to appear. Unfortunately, homeowners do not know that the integrity of their roof has been damaged until another storm hits, leading to extensive water damage.

Q. Can you simply patch the hole in my roof?

A. We can patch a hole in a roof temporarily only, for emergencies. A patch does not carry a warranty and will decrease the value of your property. In addition, if your roof is not completely repaired/replaced, it can lead to extensive water damage.

Q. What are Replacement Cost Value (RCV) vs. Actual Cash Value (ACV) Policies?

A. After you file a storm damage claim, there are two methods your insurance company may use when compensating you to bring your home/property to a ” pre-loss condition”; one is a Replacement Cost Value (RCV) policy and the other is an Actual Cash Value (ACV) policy: the difference being whether or not depreciation will be paid for you. Almost everything loses value over time. While your home/property generally will appreciate, the building components used to construct the building are deteriorating from age and thus lose value or depreciate. Both RCV and ACV policies will receive an initial payment called an ACV Check  based on the depreciated value of the items damaged by the storm. If you have an ACV policy, you are responsible for paying the difference between the depreciated amounts paid by your insurance company and the actual replacement cost to repair your home/property to “pre-loss condition”. With an RCV policy, your insurance company will pay the depreciation for you once the repairs have been completed an RCV policy typically has a higher premium due to the additional paid benefits. Regardless of which policy you have, you are required to pay your deductible out of pocket.

Q. What is Code Upgrade Coverage

Your policy may or may not include a clause to bring your property up to current building code requirements. The municipality in which you reside establishes building code requirements.